Mourning the loss of a loved one is never easy. Doing it alone can be even harder. Finding a grief support group may be an ideal next step if you’re grieving. While you’re thinking about it, let’s discuss 3 benefits that support groups offer and then give you some options.
The Power of Belonging
Every one of us was wired for connection–without it, we cannot live as our truest selves. Our deepest need to feel connected can be fulfilled by being a part of a support group. In the right grief group, you’ll find people who have had similar experiences, understand the pain you’re in and accept you as you are. You can experience the power of belonging in a grief support group.
Alongside others who have been through similar journeys, you can learn from those who are farther ahead in the process. From advice, personal insight, helpful thoughts, and suggestions; your group leader and members can impart loads of wisdom into you. Some day you may even be the one to help someone who has been in your same position.
Because groups are often led by someone who has been through a loss themselves, you will often come in contact with those who have been through similar situations, yet have been able to find new life. You will have a chance to see group members who are doing well and finding ways to heal. Seeing tangible people who are healing can bring hope that you can find the same healing.
Grief Support at Bakken-Young
At Bakken-Young, we believe that our service to you is more than just providing a meaningful funeral experience. We understand that many people will benefit from supportive and meaningful grief care. That is why we have provided events designed specifically for those who are grieving. From grief support groups to simple coffee and conversation groups or fun outings with other people; we want to give you every opportunity to find wholeness and healing after your loss. Our Chaplain, Julia Rajtar would love to see you at any of our events. They are free and open to anyone!
Whether if it’s at Bakken-Young or somewhere else, finding the right support group will benefit you in many ways. This list from Hello Grief gives a good idea of what you may find in your group:
- Emotional and physical support in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
- Support and understanding from others who have experienced a similar loss.
- The opportunity to begin the healing process through sharing your own story and hearing the stories of others.
- Coping skills to help you through the most difficult days of your grief journey.
- Hope through companionship with people who “get it” and understand first-hand what you’re going through.
- The opportunity to discover new traditions and ideas to keep loved ones present in your hearts and in your memories.
- Increased understanding of how children and other family members react to loss.
- Permission to grieve and permission to live a happy productive life.
Make sure to check out Bakken Young’s full calendar of events and decide for yourself which ones seem right for you.